This blog is about my daughter Leah, who is fearfully and wonderfully made, and our experiences with autism.

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Leah's Story - Part 5

A few months after Leah's runaway episode, I was talking to a mom in the therapy office. I kept being drawn to watching her son. He was about Leah's age. He was autistic. As I watched him, I kept thinking that is Leah!!! My sister in law that was going to the same office at the time had seen him as well. I brought it up later and she had seen the same similarities

I made an appointment with a psychologist recommended to me by the therapy office. He confirmed my suspicions. I felt a little relieved. I felt like I was getting some answers. I also felt like I could give some answers to others. I began to do major research on the Internet. I wanted the diagnosis so I would know where to begin and get some solutions. Wow! I had no idea how daunting a task that would be. The Internet is filled with every one's ideas, opinions, and experience. I began to see how broad a thing autism is. It has many causes and even more "cures".

I informed my doctor of our diagnosis and she wanted a second opinion by a developmental doctor. We had a thorough 2 hour appointment. She confirmed what we already knew. Though we disagree on minor issues, treatments and influences in autism, we can work together. She is very knowledgeable and willing to work with me.

It has been over 3 years since that diagnosis. Leah has come a long way. Most people that meet her in public wouldn't know anything is different. Those who interact with her, do.
Speech Then - hardly a word spoken, couldn't understand basic speech. Now - talks nonstop, understands enough to function daily and more!

Physically - behind in coordination   Now - still behind, but progressing. She is very active.

Occupational Therapy - Then - writing she could hardly draw a circle   Now - writing letters
                                      Then - could manipulate, stack blocks             Now - no problem
Plays with legos, blocks, computers

Imagination - Then - very set, rigid       Now - highly imaginative

Routine - Then - had to have it           Now - not so much

Social about the same, but she does fairly well with kids younger than her.

Educational - We are making progress, she is years behind. After 2 years, she still struggles with counting, she knows letters and sounds and memorizes words, but doesn't break down phonetically.

One day at a time. One goal at a time. Always to the glory of God!

No comments:

Post a Comment