This blog is about my daughter Leah, who is fearfully and wonderfully made, and our experiences with autism.

Monday, January 18, 2010

Autism - Leah's story - part four

Leah started therapy at a little over 3. She began speech and physical therapy twice a week and occupational therapy once a week. I will go into detail in later posts about the therapies for people who would like to try some for their kids.

She still wasn't diagnosed with autism.

August 2007, 3 months over the age of 3, Leah escape from the house. I thought one of her sisters had her and they thought she had gone with me. It was probably about 20 minutes later when I asked the most dreaded words in our house. Where's Leah? Nothing could strike action or panic in us like those two words. We started looking through the fields and the back cow pastures, woods, and thoroughly covering a pond that is right behind our house. No where! A neighbor noticed us and suggested we call the police. Over 100 people showed up. 2 hours later, Leah was found in a creek, chest high in water, unable to get out and about 6 feet away from water that would have been over her head.

She had minor scratches and oodles of mosquitos bite. She had trekked through bushes, thorns, trees, fields with bare feet and wearing nothing but underwear and a tank top. She probably passed copperheads and water moccasins and yet came our virtually unscathed. She would say the word "snake" a few times over the next few days.

I can't even explained the horrid feeling of those 2 hours. The being trapped in the house unable to look, in case, they found her or hearing a cop tell a neighbor that they couldn't be in the house because this was a crime scene. I once thought how strange it would be that people would start cleaning their house or doing something menial as that during traumatic times. That is what I wanted to do, I NEEDED to do something! So I made phone calls and prayed and prayed.

The immense relief to hear they found her. Time stopped as I waited for what seemed hours in those 15 minutes waiting for her to come home. I later found out they were cleaning her up a little because she was absolutely filthy and they didn't want me to freak out. Oh, the absolute pleasure of cradling her in my arms and still the awkwardness of all the neighbors watching me carrying her home. Yet I knew they were rejoicing and relieved almost as much as we were.

The despair an hour later and she is clawing to get out the door. "Water, water!!" is all she can say. I breakdown.

I feel that I can't handle this anymore. I can't keep her safe. I don't know what to do with her. I feel like a horrible parent. I am confused, exasperated and tired. So very tired. I want to help her and all she wants is to out and play in danger. I don't understand her, nothing I try works. I am at my lowest, not just lowest with her, but lowest in my life. I have never felt so helpless. It is in this moment, I feel God embrace me and I know it is going to be alright. I don't understand how, but I know He is in control. He was with her every moment she was lost. She was in the palm on His hand. God is good. He is good to me. He is good to Leah. I have to trust in the God who IS.

Shortly after this we find a device called made by Ionkids that sets off an alarm if a child wanders to far from the home device.  I can't find that device anymore. This one is similiar and the best rated.

Another great program if your area carries it is called Project Lifesaver. http://www.projectlifesaver.org/ It requires training personal and can locate a person within a few miles radius. Much more accurate than the personal devices. It has a small monthly fee and an initial bracelet purchase. Sometimes you can get a scholarship for the bracelet. Our small town is looking into starting this program because of a alzheimer's patient that went missing a couple years ago.


Leah no longer requires a device. As I was told by many parents of other autistic children because she was mildly autistic she would probably out grow it. The day she was lost was the worst, she ran away no more day and slowly she began to run away less and less. She doesn't do it anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment