This blog is about my daughter Leah, who is fearfully and wonderfully made, and our experiences with autism.

Saturday, January 16, 2010

Autism - Leah's story part one

My six year old precious lively loving Leah girl is a joy and always adds adventure and humor to the family. She loves fun, real active lively fun. She wants to try everything! She saw an astronaut on the moon and asked if she could go. She saw someone sliding down a cliff in a movie (not actually enjoying it) and she wanted to try. :o) She lives life to the fullest, she feels things very deeply, loves very completely and see things very differently. She forgives so easily, accepts people so freely. She also happens to be autistic. Autistic doesn't make her who she is. It is a part of what helps her see the world the way she does.

I can look back and see very subtle things as a baby that pointed to a tendency to autism. My husband has an uncle that has Asperger's syndrome. So, there could be a genetic link. We had a doctor that cut the cord way too soon, so is there oxygen damage? I came off a vegan diet of 3 years and then got pregnant with her... is there a lack of nutrients while in utero.

We gave Leah her first shots when she was over 2. 2 shots. She changed! She stopped talking. She forgot all the letters of the alphabet that she had taught herself (with Leappad toys) except her too favorite S and W. Her personality change was the hardest. If I live in a country that had a big influence of demons possessions. I would have been convinced she was. However, I knew better. I allowed the shots. I have asked many many questions over the years as to the "why". I have come to the point of resting in the sovereignty of God. God could have prevented it all. God can cure her. God loves her and us. It is God's will to be glorified in us and Leah's autism is to the glory of God.

I thought maybe our struggle, our walk through this and continually walk through this will be of some comfort to others. I want to at least document for myself. We have come through some tough times and seen some huge victories.

To God be the glory!

No comments:

Post a Comment